Once known for being Birmingham’s industrial quarter, Digbeth is now one of the most distinctive parts of the UK. Recently topping the Sunday Time’s national list of ‘Coolest places to live in the UK’, the area is a hub of culture and creative enterprise with galleries, nightclubs, pubs and restaurants all set against a backdrop of Victorian viaducts and breathtaking street art.
We’re calling on local photographers, amateurs and professionals alike, to show us the area through your lens! The first edition of the ‘Depict Digbeth’ photography competition will launch with the theme ‘Winter in Digbeth’. To celebrate the joyful season finally being upon us, we want you to tell us your story of Digbeth this Winter – whether your protagonists are the buildings that surround us; the murals that adorn their walls or the people that make up our local community, can you tell us a story in a single image?
The top 50 entries, as chosen by a panel of expert judges, will be uploaded to a Facebook album and the image with the most ‘likes’ will be crowned our winner.
The overall winner will win a £100 cash prize, a printed canvas frame and have their image featured as the lead photograph at the Depict Digbeth photography exhibition in The Custard Factory. The 10 runners-up will have their images featured in a mini-exhibition at the Depict Digbeth photography exhibition in The Custard Factory throughout December/January.
// HOW TO ENTER
The competition launches on 21.11.18 and entries will close on 4.1.19. There’s no limit to the number of entries per participant and participants are invited to email their entries to email@example.com. Please ensure your entries are labelled with your name and location of the photograph and image files must be 200 dpi and between 1MB and 3MB. The competition is free to enter. Open only to individuals 13 years of age or older as of date of registration.
// LOOKING FOR SOME INSPO?
Digbeth is packed-full of inspiration to get your photographic juices flowing, including:
- Digbeth’s post-industrial vernacular and storytelling architecture
- The ever-changing murals and artwork that adorn Digbeth’s walls
- A moment that you think should be frozen in time
So get your thermals on and capture the essence of Digbeth this Winter! Good luck!
// TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- This competition is open to residents of the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and Republic of Ireland aged 13 years or over, except for employees of Oval Real Estate, their families or anyone else associated with this competition.
- All information detailing how to enter this competition forms part of these terms and conditions. It is a condition of entry that all rules are accepted as final and that the competitor agrees to abide by these rules. The decision of the judges is final and no correspondence will be entered into. Submission of an entry will be taken to mean acceptance of these terms and conditions.
- Entries should be submitted by via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Entries must be labelled with the entrant’s name and location of the photograph and image files must be 200 dpi and between 1MB and 3MB. Entrants should include their own name, address and telephone number. We regret that we are unable to accept postal entries.
- All entries must be received by the advertised closing time and date.
- All images submitted must be the work of the individual submitting them and must not have been published elsewhere or have won a prize in any other photographic competition. It is the responsibility of each entrant to ensure that any images they submit have been taken with the permission of the subject and do not infringe the copyright of any third party or any laws. Entrants must warrant that the photograph they are submitting is their own work and that they own the copyright for it.
- Copyright in all images submitted for this competition remains with the respective entrants. However, in consideration of their providing entry to the Competition, each entrant grants a worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual licence to Oval Real Estate Limited to feature any or all of the submitted images in any of their websites and/or in any promotional material connected to this competition.
- There is no limit to the number of entries per person. Late, illegible, incomplete, defaced or corrupt entries will not be accepted. No responsibility can be accepted for lost entries and proof of transmission will not be accepted as proof of receipt. Entries must not be sent through agencies or third parties.
- The Top 50 images will be those that are judged to be the most visually appealing, original and self-explanatory.
- The overall winner will be chosen via a Facebook vote. The winner will be notified within seven days of the closing date of the competition.
- One entrant shall win a £100 cash prize, a printed canvas frame and have their image featured as the lead photograph at the Depict Digbeth photography exhibition.
- The top 10 runners-up will have their images featured in a mini-exhibition at the Depict Digbeth photography exhibition.
- The winners may be required to take part in publicity.
- The prizes as described are available on the date of publication. All prizes are non-transferable.
- Events may occur that render the competition itself or the awarding of the prizes impossible due to reasons beyond the control of the Promoter and accordingly the Promoter may at its absolute discretion vary or amend the promotion and the entrant agrees that no liability shall attach to the Promoter as a result thereof.
- English law applies and the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts shall prevail.